Monday, May 31, 2010

Lilac for Maine Weddings





Usually brides that get married in May in Maine are taking a slight gamble with the weather. This year, they made out very well. A Spring with eighty degree days and then sudden freezes here and there...lovely for brides, but a bit tragic for us flower people at times. Just think of what the flowers must be thinking (if they could..).
Lilac. I love lilac. I had it in my wedding in fact several years ago. This year though, it threw me for a loop with Mother Nature and her weather curve ball(and guaranteed every other florist). Knowing the average local crop was going to be past its' prime, I had my lilac coming in from other sources. Both bailed out last minute with weather problems themselves. Needless to say and making a very, very long story short, I happen to know that there are many varieties of lilac that bloom at various times of the Spring season and even into the Summer typically. I am also very fortunate that I have come to know some wonderful people here in Maine as well as places over the past eight years. I spent all day Friday cutting lilac from various places and then went to Gritty's for a martini to celebrate lilac (and having it for this wedding).
Yes, I can always substitute flowers, and I always let brides know that I will make substitutes if needed. In fact, I had already ordered in a substitute for this bride. (She lucked out she got the substitutes and the real thing.) But why not go to the utmost extremes first, nearly killing yourself on a ladder to make the brides first pick come to fruition. That is why I am Emily Carter.
Here are some images of this past weekends wedding.
I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment